Project: sweet potato tart


EN

Some weeks ago I was busy once and always again in the kitchen creating food. This time it was pie creation! I love pie and eating it but I've also noticed that I don't make pie a lot at home. I usually cook and bake things like cake and bread because for some reason it's easier and less labor I guess?

 Anyways, time to refresh my cook and bake habits and so I created a pie from scratch. It is looking pretty awesome if you ask me and it's a healthy sweet & savory pie too with one of my favorite vegetable included: the sweet potato (yes it's a vegetable!). And since they are purple sweet potato why not highlight the purple color in a pie? Please try this recipe out!   
NL

Weken geleden was ik weer fijn druk bezig in de keuken met eten klaar maken. Dit keer was het een taart/vlaai! Ik ben dol op dit soort baksels en eet ze daarom ook graag maar maak het niet echt vaak in mijn eigen keuken. Liever bak ik cake of zo. Of brood, want ergens vind ik dit veel makkelijker.

Dit vraagt natuurlijk voor uitdaging en verandering dus vandaar een poging tot een ware vlaai in de keuken. En hij is best gelukt! En een hele gezonde vlaai ook nog eens met daarin een van mij favoriete groente: de zoete aardappel! Ze zijn ook nog eens in de kleur paars en deze heb ik zo goed mogelijk laten stralen in dit recept. Probeer het anders uit zou ik zeggen! 

❝Zweef
de cursor
voor Nederlandse
vertaling!
Ingredients
tart base - 25 x 10 cm size

150 gr pastry (or cake) flour
40 gr agave syrup (or any other syrup)
40 gr vegetable oil

filling

200 gr sweet potato
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper
1 egg
2 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. Italian herbs
I had these 1 and half midsize sweet potato left and I have decided to turn them into a nice piece of pie. Purple food seems to be the new food hype in social media nowadays anyways. The total weight of these pictured sweet potato was 235 gr and end up not using everything for the tart. Therefore an approximate 200 gr of sweet potato is more then enough for this recipe.
Peeling galaxy potatoes
Not much filters and retouches needed, the natural purple color are simply stunning already.

It is of course very ok to use a round tart tin.
How I want my egg
Eggs in baking? Always good! Arranging the sweet potato ribbons was a fun activity too in this recipe.
Raw then baked
The Steps
1. To make the tart base: mix everything in a bowl until a firm but still workable dough is formed. Then place the dough in a tart tin and shape it evenly. Use a fork to create holes in the bottom, place a layer of baking sheet on top and fill it with baking beads. The tart base is ready to be blind baked for about 20 min at a 180°C in the oven. Remove from oven. Reduce to 160°C.

2. How to create thin slices of sweet potato? With a mandoline of course! You can use a potato peeler as well, no problem. Try to create long, thin and bendy ribbons of sweet potato and put it in a mixing bowl.
3. Toss in with the olive oil, salt and pepper to your liking and taste.
4. In another bowl mix the egg, milk and the Italian herb. Pour this egg mixture in the blind baked tart base.
5. Top it with the sliced sweet potato ribbons: arrange them vertically going from outside to inside. This way you`ll create beautiful verticale lanes in the tart.
6. Bake the tart for 45 min in the preheated 160°C or until the sweet potato tops has browned and tender. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I usually have sweet pies or savoury pies or sweet tarts, but not sweet and savoury pies or savoury tarts! The tart looks so solidly packed with sweet potatoes! Do you taste the egg? -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, this almost looks too beautiful to eat! I really want to know how it tastes, I don't think I've ever eaten purple sweet potatoes before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love the deep rich color, and I bet it tasted amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful purple tart!
    I make sweet potato sometimes, so next time I would love to try it!!!

    akiko
    www.akikohiramatsu.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks seriously delicious. I'll have to try it out and pass it on to my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like...

DIY: Mini Whip Cream

DIY: Crochet banana

DIY: Crochet Miniature Cinnamon Rolls